433 (2) Holding

rel10rel10 Posts: 11
edited January 2019 in General Gameplay

I have been playing with 2 CDM formations most of Fifa 19, but I wanted to try some new players that worked better in this formation 433-2. In the past I really liked this formation for its possession play.

Despite having very reasonable and balanced tactics and formations, my midfield is a complete mess on defense.
I have RCM Firmino on get forward, LCM Silva on balanced, both cover wings. Then I have Fabinho at CDM on stay back while attacking and cover center. My defense tactics on balanced with 5 depth. Literally on every play, Fabinho who should be the holding midfielder watches the play go around him while both CMs are gunning back to cover (and as a result theyre stamina is trash). The midfield triangle literally inverts on defense, with the 2 CMs dropping to defend and Fabinho CDM further up the pitch! Any tips?

Drop back instead of balanced defense?
Change the depth?
Cut passing lanes or man mark on CDM?

As an aside, I built this squad to use Flashback Ibra. OMG! On attach this squad is crazy good.

Comments

> @Tcfenner said:
    > I had the same sort of issue, I had 5 depth too n even lower trying to fix this but the way I fixed this was.
    >
    > Put both wingers on get in behind only n leave everything else default, leave St as default too, lcm get forward, rcm balanced, cdm balanced, fullbacks stay back.
    >
    > And as for depth n all that, I changed em all to 7s and my team has been playing good since, my defense has been more solid weirdly.

And also cut passing lanes on cdm
    > @Rahulrg126 said:
    > You do know that Firmino is a Striker/Center forward. If you play him as centre mid in 4-3-3, how can u even expect your midfield to be defensively solid?

He has a high defensive work rate and some decent physical stats so he is surprisingly useful in defence
    TurnyTurny Posts: 8
    It's my fav formation irl and on previous fifas but I get roasted in defence this year too and have to ptb and counter just to be competitive.

Don't bother bro. Try 4141. Essentially the same shape but better defensively. Plenty of other 433 and 451 variations too. If you like posession play with 1 cdm I actually recommend 41212.
    I had the same sort of issue, I had 5 depth too n even lower trying to fix this but the way I fixed this was.

Put both wingers on get in behind only n leave everything else default, leave St as default too, lcm get forward, rcm balanced, cdm balanced, fullbacks stay back.

And as for depth n all that, I changed em all to 7s and my team has been playing good since, my defense has been more solid weirdly.
    You do know that Firmino is a Striker/Center forward. If you play him as centre mid in 4-3-3, how can u even expect your midfield to be defensively solid?

@Tcfenner said:
    I had the same sort of issue, I had 5 depth too n even lower trying to fix this but the way I fixed this was.

Put both wingers on get in behind only n leave everything else default, leave St as default too, lcm get forward, rcm balanced, cdm balanced, fullbacks stay back.

And as for depth n all that, I changed em all to 7s and my team has been playing good since, my defense has been more solid weirdly.

Thank you! going to try this

So I did a little tweaking that helped out tremendously.

1. Manually control CDM. I was trying to press further up the pitch with 2 CMs, but this was causing CDM to come out of position. Manually controlling CDM keeps defense in perfect shape. I feel like with instructions the CDM should know where to be, but so is the game...
    2. LB/RB stay back while attacking... I know everyone talks about this, but for me was unnecessary until now with 2 CDMs. This allowed my CMs to not track back as much.
    3. Play narrow on defence. I haven't touched this setting until now. With only 1 holding midfielder, its important to make your team a little more narrow.

After all of this I just changed to 4231 narrow instead. Much better.
    4332 in this game is not good.