Gameplay in FIFA 20

Hey guys!

Something about me for the start:

I’ve been playing fifa since 09 and always adapted since that. In the Last 3-4 years I was above average players skillwise. I had no problems reaching WL and within WL, reaching 20-25 wins from 40 games and later 18-20 from 30 games.
If I can say that about myself: I was not too bad. Especially my attacking skills were somewhat decent, tho I always kinda struggled with defending (definitely became better over time).

So here’s my problem; everyone with every squad - even if it’s just a 180 team- is destroying me. Well destroying might not be the perfect explanation but let’s say each game Im conceding about 3-4 goals.
That wouldn’t be THAT bad if I would still manage to score 4-5 goals in return. But I’m not and I’m so close to smash something every game. I really enjoyed fifa in general - ofc like every game it has its ups and downs. But this year I’m constantly pissed.
I understand the meta: ptb and near post finishes. Also running with the wingers near the goal line and passing/sweating to another player. I get that. Even the fu**ing constant dragbags and fakeshots. I understand.

Ofc I’m trying to adept to that aswell. But it’s just not working.
My passing was always very good - this year it feels like I’ve never played fifa before.

What am I doin wrong? It’s not about my squad - i can tell you this much.
And the custom tactics normally helped me pretty well.

I don’t have a preferred formation yet.
But I tried almost every formation except the 3-x-x ones with 3 defenders.

So I’m asking you guys: any tips or formations with custom tactics that I should try? Anything is appreciated, really !

Thanks a lot and take care out there 🤗

Comments

ihatetayihatetay Posts: 669

@DrItaloo said:
    Hi once again! :D always nice to talk to you.

My knowledge of football itself is (if I can say that) pretty good as i played nearly 15 yrs myself as an defensive mid :)

Passing lines and interceptions are one thing I was always very good at - both online (console btw) and on the pitch.
    One thing very frustrating for me is the fact that I always miss interceptions by like 2-4 inches. I know where they will pass and how they will turn once they touch the ball. But as mentioned, I always miss the ball by inches.

My midfield is nainggolan HL, Tonali SBC and allan nif/ Dybala 90 rttf, depending on formation and tactic ofc.
    Tonali and nainggolan both are very strong and fit my style perfectly. Still I’d like to catch more balls.
    Which instructions do you recommend on Tonali and nainggolan (especially the defending part; interceptions and stuff)?

Ah if you have played football for a long time then you will have the football knowledge for sure. So i suspect you lack mechanical skills more like me xD
    I played mostly as an attacking player myself(mainly a second striker type). But have played in defensive positions as well. One of my most memorable matches was as RB. Good times.
    Now if i kick a ball i will be in hospital for 2 weeks.

@insidious has some good tips.

One thing that 100% improves interceptions is icons. You could put a ST with 30 interceptions and he will be making great interceptions. Icons are broken like that and to counter that you need 90+ vision and passing stat players. Especially an icon. I always recommend that people get 1 icon in CM/CDM and 1 in CB. Someone like Moore prime will be insane.

Also i understand that being close to the ball but they dont take the ball. I realised pressing L2/R2 or LT/RT makes them not take the ball. This has been changed since one of the patches. I use this much less now when defending for interceptions. Basically i have learned to let go of it and back to it in good timing. Also learned to abuse it in both tackling and attacking when jostling because you get better ball control and wont lose the ball that easily and turn quicker. Again you can just let go of L2 whilst still holing R2 and you will be away with speed.

This is a weird thing i realised a while ago that they stopped intercepting so i changed my style with jockying. I dont know what they changed but it has changed.

Also try to do more slide tackling. Players who have high slide tackle can do OP tackles. Yes at times you might get it wrong and we know the ref can be stupid.
    But if you see the ref is giving away easy free kicks then dont make as many slide tackles. But still learn to do it more. If you are already doing some then its too little.
    I have found slide tackling to be a great way to stop attacks. You can slide tackle from a long way with good slide tackling players and opponent cant do anything.
    Takes a few mishaps to get some of the timing right but once you slide more you will quickly pick it up and find it to be great.

There is a lot to do with timing in this game. Also with defensive play its easier to help people whilst playing with them. Unlike attacking its not just mechanical skills but mental skills.

First of all i want to know what platform are you on? PC or consoles? There is a difference but also if on PC i could help out if you need.

Well if you are conceding lots of goals then surely you need to improve your defensive work.

I rarely concede goals let alone over 2 goals in 1 match. Yes there are matches where there are many goals but those are rare.

Yes i am pretty good at defending and i dont play some stupid fall back tactic. I am on 5 or 6 with defensive line and press after ball loss or bad touch. I play 5-3-2 mainly as it helps with pressing high up without sacrificing too much as you will always have 3 cb's to fall back with and the fullbacks will eventually run back to defence very quickly. However i can manage with any formation/tactic, i just find 5-3-2 to be the most realistic and in which i can play my style the best.

I am not that great in attack but it is something i have been working on and using more skill moves and being more calm in certain situations. I dont have the same quick fingers as many of the young players do but i worked on adding a few skill moves as muscle memory by abusing them in training and it gives me another dimension in attack now. 3* SM or 2* and i can still do those skill moves effeciently.

Also you might be good mechanically at the game but you might lack tactical and football knowledge/understanding. Being able to read the game helps a lot of course.

Generally someone with decent mechanical skills but greater football experience will be better. Someone with great mechanical skills but low football experience wont do as well.

What i see when playing is people too eager in many situations and they dont read where the dangerous passing lanes are open and such.

So you have to work on your defensive work. How to read the play. Making sure to not abuse tackle button and not being too eager and learning to slide tackle as it is a great way to stop attacks completely.

InsidiousInsidious Posts: 329
    Unfortunately the game is full of flaws and the fact that you're struggling isn't entirely your fault. When the game is laggy we tent to lose against weaker opponents and we can't do nothing about that. However, we have to take into consideration the meta (which is appaling but that's another story) and adapt.

Unfortunately, once again drop back and low depth is the way to go and as I mentioned before the game isn't flawless nor enjoyful. In the end of the day we all prefer to take the win (especially in weekend league) rather than enjoy the game. The combination would be phenomenal tho but it can't really happen. Skill moves won't do much in your opponent's half which is conjucted of literally everyone.

However, outsmarting your opponents is the key. For example 4231 is the most used formation and experienced fifa players know how to defend it, therefore using the same formation results in equal games with low chances.

@ihatetay is right, being able to read the game is essential. In my opinion, fifa resembles me a chess game. For example your opponent might keep opening you up from the wings. In that case obviously you have to change something. Go to instructions and make your defensive line wider which will stop that.

Furthermore, adapt to 2-3 different formations that aren't similar.Like I said before you might be facing a solid 4231 and you can't do much offensively. Switch formation and surprise your opponent. For instance, I'm always starting my game in 4231 because it's the most balanced formation and if I'm struggling I'm changing to either 41212 or 442 which are completely different formations. It always depends on opponent's formation and gamestyle.

Last but not least, learn the game's flaws. We all know a game of fifa isn't really going to end at 1-0. Minute 80 to 90 the chance of scoring or conceding is higher. This morning, I was playing my wl games and I was losing 1-0 against a strong opponent but he couldn't cope when I was pressing but my shots were being constantly blocked so I decided to go random and keep doing through passes. Indeed, my dead (stamina wise) messi outstrengthed and outran Vvd like he was a bronze cb and eventually equalized. The game itself wants those dramatic moments. Minute 120 I did a lobbed through pass with alex sandro went through his defense and scored the winner. If it wasn't for the last minutes I'm 100% sure that it wouldn't work as I'm experienced enough (1100 games almost) to know what's working or not.

Hope I helped my man.
    DrItalooDrItaloo Posts: 13
    > @ihatetay said:
    > @DrItaloo said:
    >
    >
    > I hope you understand what i mean by this. In every formation basically a player has a overall zone where they mostly will be working around. For a winger or fullback its the entire wing but not central. So thats the zone he will press higher up within that zone. Or wait and press all the to the bottom of his zone.
    >
    > This year balanced is the best way to go for defensive instructions. Marking and cutting passing lanes isnt as specific as before so just stay basic. These worked better last year.

@ihatetay
    Got you!
    I know it would be far easier and better to show that in a game but unfortunately were not on the same platform :‘(

But I once again appreciate your tips and will be working towards them as good as I can!

Hope to catch you again soon :)
    edited February 2

@DrItaloo said:

Btw: any recommendations about the instructions for cdms besides dropping back and low depth) ?
    Im curious about the interceptions. Should I go more aggressive or cautious or mixed? Tried all 3 but couldn’t really tell a difference besides that I was still missing inches on aggressive interceptions..

There are a few things you need to know about this. Kinda long and complicated.

So first of all there is gonna be scripting when your players barely press and make runs. So taking that sort of gameplay out of this discussion.

Generally some things is that there are some player stats that make a difference in how they intercept or close down on a player.

Of course aggression is one stat, Combine that with great reactions. If a player has high aggression and reactions he will be on opponents quickly and win you the ball back often. Hence why someone like Stoichkov is an amazing CM(just give him defensive boost with a chemstyle).

So now one of the more perfect players to win the ball back, Keane, He has high reactions, aggression and interceptions. On top of that decent strength and with engine good balance and ball control so when he does win the ball it will stick to his feet.
    They changed "marking" into "defensive awareness" but they are about the same as before. So of course someone with high def awe will be also marking players more closely. Again this can be countered with personal instructions + aggression etc.

So a few things about the pressing. When it comes to instructions i do not recommend going aggressive, only if its a player you are gonna sub off in 2nd half. And also its great to put aggressive on your subs. Otherwise just be balanced. Even Cautious on one of the CM/CDM if you play high press. If you want a CM to stay lower cautious will make them stay lower. They still press when opponents get into his area but initially wont go out position to press.

Also High work rate means the player will start pressing higher up or not(or earlier). Nothing to do with their positioning as they will stay with the team and formation and instructions. Aggressive player will still be pressing earlier. They still press in their "area" but with high att workrate just means when opponents are in their "area" the player will go at start of his zone to press. And high in defensive work rate he will just wait until opponents are a bit deeper into his zone and then press more in that zone.
    I hope you understand what i mean by this. In every formation basically a player has a overall zone where they mostly will be working around. For a winger or fullback its the entire wing but not central. So thats the zone he will press higher up within that zone. Or wait and press all the to the bottom of his zone.

This year balanced is the best way to go for defensive instructions. Marking and cutting passing lanes isnt as specific as before so just stay basic. These worked better last year.

So if you play low depth and balanced or drop back your team wont press as much and intercept as much etc. Unless of course scripting helps you.

If you want better marking and press you will have to use either high def line with balanced or press after bad touch or ball loss. Remember that on press they still fall back after the initial press. But everyone will be ready to press. Of course there is the risk of someone quickly playing out of this press. But trust me about 85+% of players cant handle the press especially since they are used to everyone falling back.

It would be easier and better for me to show this in game. Hard to explain many things without a visual.

So one tip if you try a bit higher press and backline. Dont press with your defenders if they make it past your midfield quickly on counter. Let the defenders fall back. Doesnt matter if their attacker is running freely forward. Let him because the defenders are still ahead of him. And once he does a directional change your midfielders that you control will be back to win the ball back. They are looking forward but not behind. Also be ready to get keeper out. I play a keper with good speed so i am ready for these balls in behind. Even with my high press style i rarely end up conceding by someone playing a through ball and being free 1v1 with lots of space.

InsidiousInsidious Posts: 329
    > @DrItaloo said:
    > @Insidious agreed. As you said, the game isn’t enjoyable at all. There are very few games which I would call pretty or enjoyable. And this is what I feel like fifa 20 is in general. Not enjoyable. Now I don’t wanna be that guy complaining about everything. But still, the gameplay feels so different than the games before. Most of the time I manage to pull some beautiful plays but more often I don’t get rewarded. On the other side, my opponents scoring from ridiculous angles (facing back to the box for example) and this is the most frustrating part besides the missing inches interception wise
    >
    > Btw: any recommendations about the instructions for cdms besides dropping back and low depth) ?
    > Im curious about the interceptions. Should I go more aggressive or cautious or mixed? Tried all 3 but couldn’t really tell a difference besides that I was still missing inches on aggressive interceptions..

Basic stuff pretty much. Stay back while attacking and cover centre. Some people use cut passing lanes as well but I prefer balanced on this. Indeed you can apply aggressive interceptions to players with mediocre aggression but stamina wise is not very great.
    Ev51benEv51ben Posts: 2
    Game play for me is like buying packs you hope for something good but always end up with shit 🤯
    edited February 1
    @Insidious agreed. As you said, the game isn’t enjoyable at all. There are very few games which I would call pretty or enjoyable. And this is what I feel like fifa 20 is in general. Not enjoyable. Now I don’t wanna be that guy complaining about everything. But still, the gameplay feels so different than the games before. Most of the time I manage to pull some beautiful plays but more often I don’t get rewarded. On the other side, my opponents scoring from ridiculous angles (facing back to the box for example) and this is the most frustrating part besides the missing inches interception wise

Btw: any recommendations about the instructions for cdms besides dropping back and low depth) ?
    Im curious about the interceptions. Should I go more aggressive or cautious or mixed? Tried all 3 but couldn’t really tell a difference besides that I was still missing inches on aggressive interceptions..
    Hi once again! :D always nice to talk to you.

My knowledge of football itself is (if I can say that) pretty good as i played nearly 15 yrs myself as an defensive mid :)

Passing lines and interceptions are one thing I was always very good at - both online (console btw) and on the pitch.
    One thing very frustrating for me is the fact that I always miss interceptions by like 2-4 inches. I know where they will pass and how they will turn once they touch the ball. But as mentioned, I always miss the ball by inches.

My midfield is nainggolan HL, Tonali SBC and allan nif/ Dybala 90 rttf, depending on formation and tactic ofc.
    Tonali and nainggolan both are very strong and fit my style perfectly. Still I’d like to catch more balls.
    Which instructions do you recommend on Tonali and nainggolan (especially the defending part; interceptions and stuff)?
    4-2-3-1